Wednesday 27 July 2011

Exhaust fitted & Time to try the engine

Tuesday 26th July
Exhaust arrived back from tiger today all welded up J so fitted it, I used exhaust paste for the 4 into 1 collectors, and I have an exhaust clamp to fit the silencer, I need to put a slit in the silencer front pipe so I can clamp it on. I then made an L shaped bracket to bolt under the chassis and run up the side of the car to bolt the silencer to.


Next I put water and oil in the engine then connected up the oil pressure gauge, removed all the spark plugs and cranked the engine over until I got an oil pressure reading, refitted all the plugs and rechecked the oil level, as it has now probably filled up the oil filter, topped up the oil.

Ok I got no more excuses now not to try and start the engine, done the last bit of wiring, which was to run a live off the ignition to the alpha webber throttle bodies loom, then connected up the electric fuel pump, I left this disconnected as I have been trying out the electrical system, switches / indicators etc, as you are not suppose to run the pump with no fuel in. I then put some fuel in the tank, ok so we are now all ready for a try. My neighbour come around with a fire extinguisher in hand just in case J. I turned on the ignition, heard the fuel pump pumping the fuel through to the carbs, let the alpha system run its setup process, once that was done I turned the key to crank it and nothing!!!!!!! What a let down L I got the meter out and checked the ignition wiring, I wasn’t getting any voltage to the crank wire, I checked it off the back of the ignition barrel nothing, I wiggled the barrel a bit and I got the required 12v so it looks like I got a dodgy ignition barrel, anyway got the problem solved for now so it was time to try again.
Turned the ignition on, fuel pressure built up (nervous as hell at this point) turned the key to crank and the engine started turning over, turned over approx 3 times then fired into life J the engine is running, it sounds nice and smooth and ticks over lovely, so really pleased J

No comments:

Post a Comment