Monday 11 July 2011

Steering column dash cutout / Coolant expansion tank / rollbar

Sunday 10th July
While the body tub was on I cut out the dash hole for the steering column wheel to come through. Had a few issues here with steering column, I adjusted the outer part of the column so I could get as much of the column into the cockpit as possible, but I could not get the indicator and wiper stalks to clear the dash, it was if I needed a longer column!! In the end I had to cut a larger hole than I wanted to as the stalks were half in and half out of the dash. I also cut off the hazard warning light switch from the stalk or the hole would have had to be even bigger. Had to cut away the lower right hand side for the ignition key. At least I will be able to cover any mistakes when I make a dash plate for it.



Cut the hole in the bulkhead for the alpha loom to go through. Fitted the coolant expansion tank. I had to modify the holder for the expansion tank, it is made to go over the chassis with a lug underneath, I cut off the lug so I could fit it flush to battery tray



Trial fitted the roll bar so I could mark out where the body tub needed cutting. Once the body was removed I then cut the holes for the roll bar.


While the body was on, when looking inside the drivers / passengers tunnel, you could see the chassis and the bodywork, this didn’t look good enough to me so I decided to ally panel both, I can then cover with some thin foam and vinyl to get a better finish. I couldn’t fit them though as I snapped my last 3.5mm drill bit (gone through 30 drill bits now!!) so will buy some more tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment